MaryNell Bennett - Associate
Mary Nell Bennett joined Smith & Fawer, LLC in 2012 and since that time her litigation practice has primarily focused on property litigation, and specifically eminent domain on behalf of private landowners throughout the State of Louisiana.
Prior to joining Smith & Fawer, Mary Nell worked in the area of complex, multidistrict litigation, representing plaintiffs who suffered a personal injury or wrongful death involving pharmaceutical product liability, mass tort litigation, and class actions. Mary Nell also previously served as a Law Clerk for the Hon. Lynda Van Davis, Criminal District Court in the Parish of Orleans; as a Judicial Intern for the United States Department of Justice, United States Attorney’s Office in New Orleans; and as a Judicial Intern for Hon. Fredericka Homburg Wicker, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans.
Mary Nell attended The University of Mississippi where she lettered four years in volleyball on a full scholarship, and was named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll from 2002-2004. In 2006, she graduated cum laude with Bachelor’s Degrees in both Marketing and Banking & Finance. Mary Nell went on to attend Loyola College of Law where she was awarded several scholarships, including the Warren E.W. Mouledoux Memorial Scholarship and the Joseph V. Bologna Award for Civil Law Property. Additionally during her time at Loyola, Mary Nell served as the Alumni Chair for the Moot Court Board, a Legal Research and Writing teaching assistant and received three Law in Excellence awards.
Mary Nell is licensed to practice law throughout the State of Louisiana, and is a member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the New Orleans Bar Association. She is also active in community organizations such as Hogs for the Cause and the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation.
Prior Speaking Engagements
- Owner’s Counsel of America ALI-CLE, Co-Presenter, January 2017
- LSBA/Louisiana Judicial Committee Summer School, Presenter, 2016-2017
- NBI CLE, Eminent Domain, From Start to Finish Seminar, Presenter, 2015-2016
- Loyola University College of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana (May 2009)
- The University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi (December 2006), cum laude
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- State of Louisiana
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal
- Eastern District of Louisiana
- Middle District of Louisiana
- Western District of Louisiana